The Thomas J. Moyer Ohio Judicial Center accommodates the Court and other offices of the Judicial Branch and symbolizes the role of the judiciary as an independent branch of government.
The building was designed by Harry Hake in the Art Deco style. It was built from 1930 to 1933, known as the Ohio Departments Building, as it first housed Ohio state departments. It was also referred to as “Ohio’s Pride.” But over time, its luster faded. For decades, thousands passed by daily not knowing that inside were monumental lobbies and hallways, hearing rooms and a Courtroom all richly detailed with historical art. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.
Beginning in 2001, an extensive renovation restored the building, and set it up to be used for the Supreme Court of Ohio. The building reopened in 2004, marking the first time the court was established in a building solely for the judiciary, and the first time the building was open to the public.
Thanks to the vision of the late Chief Justice Moyer and the hard work of many — designers, stone masons, electricians, and artisans — the building was restored to its original glory and dedicated as the new home of the Supreme Court of Ohio on May 15, 2004.
At this lecture and tour we will learn about the history of the building, the renovations, and 20 years later how the renovations have held up over time.
The interior renovations were done by Schooley Caldwell.
The exterior renovations were done by Feinknopf Macioce Schappa.
The recently completed renovation of the exterior, plazas, and fountains were done by OHM Advisors.
November 17, 2022
Earn 1.5 LU|HSW
Members and Sponsors: $10
Associate Members and Students: $5