DLR Group is an integrated design firm that aspires to be the most creative enterprise on the planet. Our brand promise is to elevate the human experience through design. If that challenge is appealing, you’re at the right place.
The best integrated design firm in the world has an opening for a Design Leader in our K-12 Sector.
Location: Columbus, OH
As a Client & Design Leader at DLR Group you will be responsible for leading and maintaining client engagement from marketing through construction phase for our K-12 Sector. You will be responsible for the design excellence, design value, and design recognition within the work of the K-12 sector in addition to educating clients on our design process. As an effective Client & Design Leader, you will support a work environment that fosters innovation while providing a positive responsiveness to a client’s goals and objectives, as well as, DLR Group’s goals and objectives. As part of our integrated design team you create buildings that elevate the human experience through design. You will be responsible for collaborating and leading all aspect of the design process aligned with client goals, budgets and schedule parameters. Excelling as a strong communicator with passion for solving both design and business challenges, you will also be responsible for the financial health of projects. Client & Design Leaders will generally be engaged in multiple projects, in various phases of development, at any one time. The Client & Design Leader will work closely with K-12 Sector leadership, staff, and our integrated team members to lead the pursuit, award, design and execution of work.
The successful candidate will
- Be recognized and respected as a design expert and client leader within the K-12 sector.
- Provide thought leadership and innovation within the firm as well as with clients and the K-12 industry.
- Collaborate with the Regional Sector Leader and Global Sector Leader to establish annual business and design goals, strategies and tactics.
- Have an appreciation and passion for leading an integrated design team.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills coupled with strong organizational skills
- Attend industry events and improve DLR Group brand recognition through publications, conferences, and speaking engagements.
- Ability to work both independently and effectively in a cross-disciplinary team atmosphere and across multiple offices.
- Work closely with Business Development staff to nurture client relationships, develop new business, and secure new clients.
- Have a comprehensive understanding of the coordination aspects and related requirements of all design disciplines.
- Participate in the development and negotiation of initial client contract as well as additional service requests; and initiate, review, or approve modifications to project plans.
- Promote design excellence through design charettes, critiques, sharing of projects, and design award submissions.
- Elevate the design reputation of the sector by instilling adherence to DLR Group’s Integrated Design Process (InDePro) for all projects.
- Support DLR Group’s adoption of the AIA 2030 commitment through project tracking and compliance.
- Manage client expectations and project execution and to adhere to budget, schedule, and scope.
- Partner with project managers to ensure the overall financial health, successful staffing and execution of projects.
- Work with clients on the collection of account receivables, alignment of work product with invoicing and reviewing invoices.
- Assign duties, responsibilities, and projects to sector-specific staff.
- Mentor and monitor the performance of project team members, providing and documenting performance feedback, and participate in recruitment or selection of project personnel.
- Ability to travel as projects require.
- Achieve annual profit and growth goals.
- Demonstrated experience in a client facing role for multiple K-12 projects.
- 8+ years (or more) of experience as a K-12 Client Leader and Designer.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture.
- Licensed Architect.
- LEED or WELL accreditation.
- Licensed Architect in Ohio.
- NCARB certified.
- Knowledge of bond referendum processes and state finances in Ohio.
- Knowledge of AIA Contracts and experience in client contract negotiations.
DLR Group is an integrated design firm delivering architecture, engineering, interiors, planning, and building optimization for new construction, renovation, and adaptive reuse. Our promise is to elevate the human experience through design. This promise inspires sustainable design for a diverse group of public and private sector clients; local communities; and our planet. DLR Group is 100 percent employee-owned and fully supports the initiatives and goals of the 2030 Challenge and is an initial signatory to the China Accord and the AIA 2030 Commitment.
Visit dlrgroup.com and follow us on Twitter, Instagram and at LinkedIn.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V.
Email resume to Jasmine Proudfoot at Jproudfoot@dlrgroup.com