The AIA Columbus Committee on the Environment (COTE) has engaged with the City of Columbus to learn about the City’s new Climate Action Plan (CAP) and to participate in its Working Groups. Published in December 2021, the CAP sets goals for Columbus to be carbon neutral by 2050 and to reduce emissions by 45% by 2030. The plan lays out a thoughtful set of actions that the City government, private business, organizations, and residents can implement to significantly reduce the community’s greenhouse gas (GHG) footprint, while also creating a more equitable and resilient community. The five sections of the CAP outline 13 strategies that have 32 quantifiable actions. To implement this plan, the City has established 5 Working Groups, of which COTE members are participating in three. To learn more about COTE’s involvement with the CAP, please join one of our monthly meetings.
On June 8, 2022, AIA Columbus was joined by three City of Columbus officials to learn more about how architects can get involved. Click here to view the slides from the presentation.
Below are some resources to engage with the City’s climate action initiatives:
- To learn more about the Columbus Climate Action Plan: https://www.columbus.gov/sustainable/cap/
- Per Dave Celebrezze’s suggestion during the seminar, here is the link to more info on the Urban Heat Island Mapping project where we are recruiting volunteers: https://www.columbus.gov/Templates/Detail.aspx?id=2147525622. The direct link for interested volunteers is here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe_r46oUVnmEacNY3EwECQsmwx-0hl7x4RB88USKkKU26LN-w/viewform
- To learn more about GreenSpot and its many programs/resources: https://www.columbus.gov/greenspot/
- Join GreenSpot as a resident or business: https://mygreenspot.columbus.gov/community/main/
- Participate in the Sustainable Business Classes: https://www.columbus.gov/greenspot/learn/sustainability-initiative-classes/
AIA is also engaging in climate action through the 2030 Challenge:
- 2030 commitment https://www.aia.org/pages/6464938-the-aia-2030-commitment and https://architecture2030.org/2030_challenges/2030-challenge/
- Become a Signatory Firm: https://2030ddx.aia.org/account/login
- Create a Sustainability Action Plan for your Firm: https://www.aia.org/resources/6385445-creating-a-sustainability-action-plan-that
Click here to learn more about COTE.
COTE typically meets on the 2nd Monday of every month from 12-1 PM via Zoom. Please contact Rachel for meeting details.