If you are a dynamic, innovative, and driven team player, we’d love to talk.
M+A Architects is hiring an Architectural Specifications Writer for our Columbus office. In this role, you will be responsible for preparing Project Manuals including bidding, contracting, general requirements, and the requirements for materials, products, and systems selected by the design team, describing the project sufficiently to be built meeting the design intent. You will also be responsible for meeting due dates and managing fee budget and Client expectations.
What you will do:
- Write specifications for a variety of complex projects and building types
- Review in-progress drawings, with the Project Architect to develop coordinated technical specifications and offering modifications and improvements when appropriate; prepare notes about what is required.
- Verify product appropriateness; identify special concerns; ensure appropriate product application.
- Coordinate with project team to obtain pertinent facts about the project, evaluate constructability, determine where alternative solutions may be needed and provide recommendations
- Propose continual development and improvement of master specifications including its specialized content for project type or regional conditions as well as sustainable content, based on project specifics.
- Draft specifications to capture the project qualitative requirements
- Ensure construction document (drawing and specifications) clarity and consistency.
- Participate in project process meetings scheduled for assigned projects
- Maintains awareness of industry reference standards and resources.
- Develop and maintain a broad network of technical experts including manufacturers and product representatives
- Act as a technical advisor and part of the project team from start to finish, coaching about materials and product selections, applications, and integration necessary to make the project successful
- Assist in developing, refining, and maintaining firm guide specifications
- Other duties as assigned.
What you bring to the table:
- Required: Associates degree; CSI membership
- Preferred: B. Arch from an accredited program; Architectural licensure; 10+ years experience in architecture, including construction administration; CSI CDT; CSI CCS; LEED AP BD+C
- Solid knowledge of construction materials and methods including sustainable solutions.
- Understand appropriate industry technologies and software
- Understand and incorporate use of contractor, client-specific, and construction management driven software as required
- General working understanding of codes, regulations, and construction costs
- Solid knowledge of internal standards and best practices
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office
- Strong problem solving skills, communication skills, leadership skills, and mentorship skills.
- Ability to work under pressure of tight deadlines
Why choose M+A?
Research led, and insight driven, we pride ourselves on hiring the best in the industry, giving them the freedom to explore and design as they create space for change.
With firm differentiators like our in-house Research + Innovation team, Futurist, Sustainability services, Experiential Design, behavioral psychology and anthropology based podcast – M+Ake It Innovative, and M+A Productions, we continue to explore new opportunities as we stay committed to finding the design solutions and strategies that set our clients up for success for now, and what’s next.
By joining M+A, you will find yourself fulfilled from your work, driven by your passion in purpose, a part of a culture of collaboration, and a place where you belong, as together we work to design the future of our communities, and beyond.
In addition, we offer the following benefits and perks:
- Comprehensive benefits package including a choice of two health insurance plans, plus vision and dental; options for HSA, HRA, and FSA; opportunities for life insurance, disability, critical illness, and accident coverage
- Leadership opportunities
- Paid time off (PTO) bank merges sick, vacation, and personal time, which allows you to the flexibility to use your paid time off as you see fit
- Seven paid holidays and two half-day paid holidays
- 401(k) profit sharing plan and retirement savings advising
- Impromptu get-togethers
- Workstation flexibility, including a cafe space, hoteling stations, and standing desk compatibility
- Flexible Schedule
- Ample opportunities for community engagement with our CSR partners
- Casual atmosphere with a supportive and collaborative team
- Always Passionate
- Give More Than You Get
- Relentlessly Innovative
- Stronger Together
- Energetically Optimistic
- Get Comfortable With Being Uncomfortable
- Treat Others As They Want To Be Treated
M+A Architects provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, M+A Architects complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
M+A Architects expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of M+A Architects’ employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.